Connect with us

News

Ndume Hails Military For Providing Security, Amenities In Borno

Published

on

Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, All Progressives Congress, APC, Borno South has hailed what he described as tremendous efforts of the Military in working assiduously to bring peace to the War ravaged Borno State in the North East geo Political zone of the country by the Boko Haram Insurgents.

Ndume who noted that the Military are going extra mile to put things together for the return of the hitherto Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs to their ancestral villages, said that the Soldiers in Borno, especially his Senatorial District must be commended for going out of their statutory responsibility to providing other things that are giving the people Succour to once again bounce back to life and live a well fulfilled one.

The former Senate Leader who noted that he has just returned from tour of his constituency, said that the Military deserve serious commendation against the backdrop that they are doing well to ensure the security of lives and property, said that with the hard work of the Military, students wrote the West African Examinations, WAEC for the first time after six years.

Speaking with Journalists yesterday in Abuja, Ndume who noted that the Soldiers beside their statutory duties, have also engaged in teaching of Children in Chibok and other places in Borno South, said that the Military also sink Boreholes for the people, reconstruction of burnt buildings, waiting the arrival of the people.

According to him, if the Army must perform effectively and efficiently in the War torn zone, there was the urgent need for the Federal Government to provide funds, modern equipment and additional personnel, adding that the government should complete the Renovation of Chibok Secondary School especially as the people are returning as Internally Displaced persons, IDPs to their native homes.

On his recent tour of his constituency, Ndume said, ” I have been at home for the most part of the vacation and I’ve been able to go round and also talk to my people. First of all, with the assistance of the, military which provided security in Chibok, the students of Government College Chibok, for the first time in six years, were able to write their Senior Secondary School Examination at Chibok.

” I commend the military especially the GOC of the 7th Division who was assured us that the students would write their exams in Chibok and they did that successfully. Other military commanders and personnel are also doing everything possible to make sure that peace return to Chibok town.

We hereby appeal to the Federal Government to complete the renovation of the Chibok College which was burnt by the insurgents, six years ago. The Federal Government took over the school and it had yet to complete its renovation up till now.

“In the course of my interaction too, I discovered that the military has been supporting the state Government’s bid to return the internally displaced persons to their ancestral homes. So far, the people of Kukawa, Kawuri, Ngwoche, are in the process of returning while some of them had returned already.

“Just last week, over 1, 000 Kawuri people, along the Maiduguri-Bama Road, about 40 kilometers away from Maiduguri, returned to their town. Kawuri was where the insurgents massacred 85 people in one day sometime in February 2014.

“I was at Ngoshe with the governor and preparations were at the final stage to return the displaced persons on October 15. The government is also making efforts to return the people of four other communities at the various IDP camps by the end of the year.

“We call on the federal and state government to provide the people with farm implements, fertilizers and other agricultural extension services for them to engage in dry season farming because they have missed the raining season now.

“Despite the difficult challenges confronting the military operation in my area, the soldiers deployed to fight the insurgents have been very wonderful. At Ngwoche for instance, the military personnel there are, apart from repelling the attacks from the insurgents, have mobilized resources to start rebuilding, through direct labour, houses that were destroyed by the Boko Haram fighters. The soldiers did not know the owners of the houses they are rebuilding.

“In Gwoza, one Colonel Lamidi, a Yoruba man who has been there now for three years as the battalion commander, bought two golf cars and converted them to gun trucks due to lack of equipment to fight the insurgents. The same Colonel Lamidi has been going after the insurgents with the golf cars he reconstructed to gun trucks.

“Apart from this, the soldiers are also engaging in civil activities. Some soldiers with diploma and degree certificates are now teaching school children whose parents have returned to some of the affected communities. They even hired 50 volunteers, who they are paying about N30,000 per month from their salaries and allowances, to teach in some schools also.

“The former Brigade Commander built about two boreholes in Gwoza as his own contribution. The Nigerian Army are doing their best but they don’t have enough personnel, resources and adequate equipment to really execute the war effectively.

“In Damboa where we lost about 24 solders as a result of the ambush by the insurgents. The Army deployed a battalion to the area and since then, the incidence of ambush had stopped.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Bagudu , Stakeholders, Meet Over Flood, Insecurity, in Kebbi

Published

on

Kebbi State Governor, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu says formidable efforts are on top gear, to assist flood victims across the state.

Similarly, Bagudu disclosed that, plausible arrangements were on going to commence dry season farming, to augment the colossal losses caused by the devastating flood disasters.

The governor announced a rubost dry season farming scheme which would involve all the local government areas in order to speedily regain the losses incurred as a result of the flood.

The governor spoke in Birnin Kebbi , Saturday, during a Stakeholders Meeting on the menace of flood and insecurity in some parts of Zuru emirate .

Bagudu also decried that, the 2020 flood and rainfall had greatly surpassed the earlier predictions by NIMET and other related weather prediction agencies .

According to the governor, the unprecedented flood disasters had regretably resulted in the massive losses of farmlands, houses and other infrastructure across the entire state.

Bagudu further noted that, the rapid responses by the State and federal governments , as well as their agencies had remarkably mitigated the negative impact of the rampaging flood disasters.

The Kebbi Governor further extolled the spirit of comradeship shown by the people of the state, to the victims .

He also expressed gratitude with the assistance to the victims from well meaning individuals like the Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari and business mogul, Abdussamad Isyaku Rabiu, among others .

On insecueity , Bagudu regretted that, Kebbi State which was still one of the most peaceful states in the country, was now witnessing some pockets of threats against lives and properties of innocent citizens, especially in Zuru Emirate .

He said that, indigenes of the state who were hitherto engaged in farming activities in parts of Dansadau area, Zamfara State , had returned to the state, mostly in Zuru Emirate.

Bagudu lamented :” They came back with tales of woes and this ugly situation led to the springing up of self help security groups , ‘ Yan Sakai’, apparently for self defense or revenge.

” This obnoxious situation aggravated the security situation. For instance recently, the District Head of Bajida was brutally murderered .

” Also, just yesterday when a meeting was going on to select his replacement, a group of Yan Sakai stormed the meeting, uninvited and threatened to kill everybody if their nominee was not selected .”

The governor categorically warned communities in the state against taking the laws into their hands, as well as creating militias.

Bagudu vowed to sustain the feat achieved by the state of being the hub of food production in Nigeria, just as it is one of the most peaceful states in Nigeria.

The governor further warned that , the state government would not fold its arms and allow miscreants and enemies of peace, as well a progress to rob the state of its hard earned status.

He extolled the contibutions of all the security agencies, traditional and religious groups and other critical Stakeholders in facilitating peace and unity .

In his closing remarks, governor Bagudu thanked all the stakeholders especially, the emirs, religious, community leaders, politicians , government officials youth and women groups, NGOs, security and the media for taking part in the meeting.

According to him also the town hall meeting had afforded an opportunity for both the government to cross fertilise ideas and suggestions on the way forward.

Bagudu opined that everybody including non governmental organizations have a collective responsibility to monitor and formidably partake to ensure relief assistance reached the affected flood victims and not diverted.

He also regretted that flooding has devastated over 600 kilometers of farmlands destroying crops, fishing grounds, livestock, houses as well as government infrastructure such as roads, bridges and buildings across the state.

He assured all the stakeholders that Kebbi would by the Grace of God surmount its challenges and become great again.

Stakeholders at the meeting including the Emirs, religious leaders ,politicians, women and youth groups as well as NGOs and Civil Society Organizations gave formidable contribution and suggestions on the way forward with regards to flood situation and the security challenges facing Zuru emirate.

The town hall stakeholders meeting was attended among others the Emir of Argungu, Alhaji Samaila Muhammadu Mera, the Wazirin Gwandu, Alhaji Abdullahi Umar who represented the emir of Gwandu, representatives of Emirs of Yauri and Zuru, District Heads and religious leaders.

Others were the Chief of Staff Government House, Alhaji Suleiman Muhammed Argungu (Jarman Kabi) , SSG, Babale Umar Yauri, Justice Suleiman Muhammad Ambursa, the State Chief Judge and Attorney General, Commissioners, Special Advisers, NGOs, CSOs, Youth and Women groups among others.

 

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Trouble Looms for Ordinary Ahmed Isah as Stakeholders Condemn Unguided Utterances Against Nigerian Army, Draw NBC’s Attention

Published

on

Stakeholders made up of Civil Society Organisations, Journalists and Security experts have expressed their displeasure over what they termed inciting utterances by radio broadcaster and Chairman of Human Right Radio, Ahmed Isah, popularly called Ordinary Ahmed Isah against the Nigerian Army’s discipline on Lance Corporal Martins Idakpini who was allegedly detained by the Nigerian Army for making a viral video criticising the Nigerian Army and President Muhammadu Buhari in the fight against insecurity in Nigeria. They said the “Ordinary President” as he is fondly called should have known better, that as a broadcaster who is billed to explore the “freedom of information act” should have have been professional and avoid setting the tone for loss of confidence on the Nigerian Army, who on their part are sacrificing all to ensure peace, stability and security in the country.

The Executive Director, Coalition of Civil Society Group for Good Governance (CSGG), Comrade Dominic Ogakwu made this known in a telephone interview with journalists in Abuja on Saturday.

In trying to make case for Lance Corporal Martins, the Ordinary Ahmed alleged that some persons in the Nigerian Army are making a fortune out of the the current insecurity situation of Nigeria.

“….Ahmed Isah is well respected by Nigerians and I will expect that given the fact that he knows a lot on the value of security, and what the Nigerian Army represent, he should rather make an attempt to reach necessary authorities to gain more knowledge to avoid making unguided statement that can trigger issues of insecurity the more…yes we agree that there are issues but the Army are doing very well to solve them and I think that the Onus is on Ahmed Isah as a lover of Nigeria and as a populist, to ensure that his utterances did not instigate some miscreants against the most revered and respected and sustaining institution like the Nigerian Army….” Ogakwu said.

“….So I will advice that he should as a matter of urgency readdress that matter by getting the necessary clarifications and verifying all the necessary facts to avoid making statements in error…yes a lot of rumours are being peddled against the Nigerian army, but it behoves on the media especially the one that is very close to the people to ensure that it did not rise on the waves of the moment on emotions, they should not “emotionalise” reportage….” He added.

He said “…reports must be balanced in perspectives and they must see to all sides, before actually drawing to conclusions, so as a matter of urgency I think the most respected Ahmed Isah should have known better that Nigerians are listening to him and as a man who is patriotic, who loves this country he should not be too emotional when it come to issues of security because he understands that in his programs, he explores all sort of emotions and that to me even though the people love it but then issues of national security, sensitive issues, issues that can set this country ablaze should be very guided….”

Undisclosed sources from the Nigerian Army who also frowned at the inciting utterances by Ahmed Isah threatened that the country’s Army will be forced to take legal action against the broadcaster if he continues in that unpatriotic line.

“….the drive by the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) to obliterate hate speech should be exercised on this issue, this is outright incitement, Ahmed Isah must put himself together and desist from sabotaging the Army’s efforts…” the source said.

For investigative journalist and “Accountapreneur”, Emmanuel Bagudu, “…the Nigerian Army is a family and any attempt to come in between a family amounts to incursion….” “….The “Ordinary President” is duty bound to be diplomatic. He must know that as a relevant stakeholder in this country that patriotism is key in his business. He must join in the quest for boosting the morale of the troops as well as advocating for trust and support for the Nigerian Military as a whole….” Bagudu said.

Youth Ambassador for the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Austin Peacemaker shares the same thought “…. Ahmed Isah should not forget that the Nigerian Army is playing a very significant role in sustaining our beautiful democracy and strengthening our national security, even at the ECOWAS regional level, as such deserves our honour, respect and fairness, especially when reporting issues around National security. They deserve balanced reportage from Journalists including Ordinary Ahmed Isah, who is well respected by many of his listeners….” Peacemaker said.

“…He shouldn’t lose that respect by misleading or misinforming his listeners and Nigerians, in a bid to make his programme entertaining and exciting. Lance Corporal Martins Idakpini broke the very code and ethics of a regimented institution he swore and took oath to abide by, and also defend. There are measures to channel your grievances in any organisation, and not by doing a video and uploading on social media. That is the highest form of indiscipline for any soldier. No father, CEO, Boss or Employer will condone that in any revered establishment.”

“…Let’s be fair in our judgment. No matter what he has to say for me he has discredited himself first by insulting all his superiors, even down to the President. My investigation reveals that Lance Corporal Martins is a ceremonious soldier in the music band of the Army who has never been to any battlefront, so doing a video to discourage and dampening the morale of his brave colleagues in the battlefront equals treachery, sabotage, and lack of patriotism for his country. We should not forget that Nigerian Security Forces are respected across Africa and the world at large, if we downplay their efforts, successes and sacrifice to our motherland then we are unknowingly running down ourselves and Nigeria as a country….” Amb. Austin Peacemaker said.

Recall that Lance Corporal Martins Idakpini was reportedly arrested in June 2020 shortly after he made a viral video where he allegedly said that the Nigerian Army and other security services are not doing enough to end the Boko Haram war. He also insulted the Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari.

Continue Reading

News

Ondo Election: INEC Moves 6,000 Smart Card Readers From Oyo

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), says it has ordered for a transfer of over 6,000 smart card readers from its Oyo state office to Ondo for the smooth conduct of Oct. 10, governorship election in Ondo state.

INEC’s National Commissioner, Information and Voter Education, Mr Festus Okoye, said this when he appeared on the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), forum in Abuja on Thursday.

Okoye was responding to questions on alternative plans the commission was putting in place for the Ondo election, given the destruction by fire of 5,141 smart cards readers in its Ondo office.

He said it was sad that the commission lost the 5,141 smart cards, readers, in the inferno.

He, however, noted that Ondo election was a stand-alone election, noting that the commission would move smart card readers from other states to conduct the election.

“As at today, we have given an order that all the smart card readers in Oyo state office should be moved to Ondo.

“And they have over 6,000 smart card readers in Oyo and so we are not going to have any problems reconfiguring them and using them for the elections.“

Okoye said the commission decided to move the smart card readers from other states to conduct the Ondo elections because of the long duration required to purchase a smart card.

According to him, the process of ordering one smart card reader takes at least six months, hence the decision to move smart card readers from other states.

He, however, said the commission was also looking at a more secured way of storing its smart card readers to avert any further destruction of the cards given the expensive nature of the cards.

“Because these smart card readers were bought with Nigeria’s taxpayer’s money we have a responsibility to make sure that we don’t waste the resources of this country.

“But we have recovered quickly and we are proceeding with the Ondo State election, noting will stop the conduct of that election,“ Okoye said.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 © 2020 Designed and Managed by Webfox

%d bloggers like this: